Tuesday, July 19, 2011

B Week Day 2

We started day 2 in clothes. . . but that only lasted a short time (at least for the preschool aged children in my house). The decided to dress as ballerinas and practice their ballet, so here they are as ballerinas with their braids. Tomorrow I will show Abby how to braid. She had a braid in her hair, too, but she wasn't dressed as a ballerina.

Today we spent some time working on recognizing the sound of B. As is rather common, the girls sometimes mistake the P sound for B (asking me if Polly Pockets starts with B). I gave Lily a big basket and told her to fill it up with things she could find in her room that started with B. Faith helped a little, but she is going to be cutting out pictures to glue in a B book (which we would've done today, but we are blessed with a nearly 15 month old terror on 2 legs who has been getting into EVERYTHING lately, which makes it harder to do projects or activities where my attention is off of him for intervals lasting longer than 30 seconds.) Lily was really into the activity (and even was good about putting all the B things away when she was done, which was the bigger surprise, let me tell you!) Here is a picture of some of the B things Lily put in the basket:


bus, blankie, Belle, blocks, bear, Bible, Buzz Lightyear
(there's also a ball, baby, Big Bird and brush under the other things)


For lunch today, I made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and I let Faith loose in my big cookie cutter box. I told her to find some cookie cutters that started with the letter B. She found some that wouldn't work well with sandwiches (like a boat and a letter B) and some that she chose not to use (a bell and a boy). We settled on a (foot)ball and a bunny.


After nap time (which explains Lily's crazy hair do), Abby and Faith made some bead necklaces. They were using small beads, so Lily opted to instead color her picture of Bob the tomato.
Faith carefully making a bead necklace with beads Abby shared.













Lily's coloring her Bob. (She did color Larry, too, even though he starts with L.)
We had to wait until after dinner to head out to the beach, as we have been experiencing some excessive heat and humidity here this week, and during the day it is simply too awful to walk to the beach. It was nice tonight, and it tired everyone out before bed.  



All in all a successful day. I think Lily is really starting to recognize the B sound. And above all, having a theme for the day or week helps organize me. I usually have so many ideas of things we can do, and this way I can hone in on those activities that fit the theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment